5/30/13

stacked hexagons

I made this cake for my sister's wedding in 2009. When she said she wanted stacked hexagons, I thought, "what's wrong with circles?" But I borrowed some pans, and began baking. The flat sides all around the cake created a challenge to frost smooth but a fun palate to decorate. Each tier was four inches tall, making the cake alone sixteen inches tall, plus the bouquet of tulips on top. The day of the reception was supposed to be hot--and it was--so I froze the tiers of chocolate cake before assembling it, thinking that by the time we served the cake, it would be pleasantly almost-defrosted. Despite the heat, the cake remained frozen, and we had to wield the almighty butcher knife to get it divided and served. Guests went home happy, carrying plastic "take-out" containers of frozen chocolate cake.